Sunday, 8 February 2015

Gelli time again

Following from January's Additive technique, our February Gelli technique is Subtracting and I love this simple technique.

Here I have used two superimposed subtracting prints. The first layer is made by brayering dabs of blue and yellow to mix them on the plate. I then placed a stencil and plastic canvas on the plate, pressed down and them lifted them off to remove paint. This was print one.

Then I brayered black paint onto the plate, layed down another stencil (flowers) and this time brayered over the top until most of the paint was lifted from the gaps. After removing the stencil all that is left are outlines where the paint close to the edges of the stencil doesn't get picked up by the brayer. I pulled this print over the top of the first.

To complete the postcard I used Glossy Accents to add dimension to the circles in the centre of the flowers without concealing any of the print.

I think the easy challenges are over now. The March swap sounds more complicated, involving masks, so I'm off to practice now.

Friday, 6 February 2015

Take it make it challenge

The new issue of Craft Stamper is out and the "Take it Make it" challenge this month is Take a Technique: Stencilling.

This project is one of a trio I made using one stamp (Fred B Mullett), two ink pads (Vintage Photo and Black Soot) and assorted other bits and pieces. The main element of the background is made using a stencil.

The base for the project is a small deep edge canvas covered in old book pages. I applied texture paste through a stencil to start with. It was Crafters Workshop Tie Dye which is one of my favourites. I think it looks very organic like tiger stripes or a nautilus shell. I applied both colours of ink with a piece of foam.

The vertical band is made of copy paper dampened, screwed into a ball, flattened out and then coloured with ink direct from the pad. I have made a marble effect in paper clay by adding a bit of ink from the pad and rolling and twisting it before pressing it flat and stamping into it.

 The label holder is a die cut which I embossed with Distress Embossing powder. I can't resist tongue in cheek titles and this is no exception - taken from the proverb "the early bird catches the worm" but so suitable for this fossil bird,one of the earliest examples.

Below is a close up of the stencilling.I'm hooked on using stencils for texture at the moment and the rugged result seemd just right for a craggy fossil piece.

Why not grab a stencil and join in with the challenge here. You could win yourself some fabulous prizes.
I'm looking forward to seeing what you make.

Tuesday, 3 February 2015

Playing it safe

 One of our February swaps is to make something, anything, from polymer clay.

Now I tried really hard to cover a pen. I was perhaps overly pleased with my attempt at making a sheet of blended stripes and made a neat job of covering a Bic pen following examples on the internet.

However pride, as they say, comes before a fall. Having made what I thought was more than acceptable offering I baked the result in the oven. What a disaster! The pen melted - well shortened - and split the cover I had made.

So to plan B, playing it safe. You can't go wrong with polymer clay, stamps and mica powder. I used an Invoke Arts stamp to imprint the texture and trimmed round the outline. Then applied turquoise mica powder before baking the piece. Once cooled I highlighted the raised parts with Treasure Gold, glued a bead into the centre with Glossy Accents and added a brooch back. The result is too shiny to get a good photo!

Feeling guilty for taking the easy option I used a gelli print to cover a small box in which to present my swap. That should help it survive the post too.