Monday, 2 March 2015

More black

I had so much fun making my "new black" swap that whilst I had all the materials out I decorated the cover of a note book that came free from somewhere with a sponsor logo on the front. The book cover was chosen because I have just discovered The Mirror Crack'd blog. The sentiment (keep everything, even broken mirror) made me smile and I was drawn to their "no cards" mixed media challenge.

I think the picture is a bit overexposed and doesn't show the metallic effects to the best advntage so I'd best explain the various products applied.

The first layer is dry embossed mirri card cut into sections. As it turns out I didn't really need the metallic effect on the card because it all got covered up so, lesson learned, use cheaper plain card in future.

All the shapes of cogs, washers and letters are die cut from funky foam. I set eyelets or brads in the centre of all the cogs - any old colour will do so use odds and ends. The final layer of texture is made from snippets of magic mesh and dymo "printed" words.


I then painted the whole cover black to harmonise all the miscellaneous colours and provide some tooth to hold the subsequent media. I then painted layers of Lumiere paint in different shades of blue, green and copper. I highlighted various textural elements with gilding wax and finished with some rusting powder and there might be more than one spritz of mica spray too.

I think I might do more of this yet. I love over the top shine and glitz and gilding.


Sometimes I hate to be right

Our March gelli technique swap was to use masks. This technique is demonstrated with fabulous results on theGelli Arts blog here. They make it look so easy but I was right, it is getting trickier.

I don't think the odd assortment of paints I used were entirely suitable though - our swap hostess recommended translucent ones but mine were rather opaque so I ended up with horrid dark prints. Well that's my excuse anyway. And you can tell they were bad because they went in the bin and it is not often I throw things away without at least trying to redeem them with a little bit more of something.

I used the second "ghost" prints for my post card in the end. Because I printed an A4 sheet and then cut a postcard size out the pattern was rather large in proportion to the post card. I couldn't resist adding some background stamping in similar colours to balance the overall background.


The technique for next time is dry prints which sounds rather intriguing so watch this space.

Sunday, 8 February 2015

Gelli time again

Following from January's Additive technique, our February Gelli technique is Subtracting and I love this simple technique.

Here I have used two superimposed subtracting prints. The first layer is made by brayering dabs of blue and yellow to mix them on the plate. I then placed a stencil and plastic canvas on the plate, pressed down and them lifted them off to remove paint. This was print one.

Then I brayered black paint onto the plate, layed down another stencil (flowers) and this time brayered over the top until most of the paint was lifted from the gaps. After removing the stencil all that is left are outlines where the paint close to the edges of the stencil doesn't get picked up by the brayer. I pulled this print over the top of the first.

To complete the postcard I used Glossy Accents to add dimension to the circles in the centre of the flowers without concealing any of the print.

I think the easy challenges are over now. The March swap sounds more complicated, involving masks, so I'm off to practice now.

Friday, 6 February 2015

Take it make it challenge

The new issue of Craft Stamper is out and the "Take it Make it" challenge this month is Take a Technique: Stencilling.

This project is one of a trio I made using one stamp (Fred B Mullett), two ink pads (Vintage Photo and Black Soot) and assorted other bits and pieces. The main element of the background is made using a stencil.

The base for the project is a small deep edge canvas covered in old book pages. I applied texture paste through a stencil to start with. It was Crafters Workshop Tie Dye which is one of my favourites. I think it looks very organic like tiger stripes or a nautilus shell. I applied both colours of ink with a piece of foam.

The vertical band is made of copy paper dampened, screwed into a ball, flattened out and then coloured with ink direct from the pad. I have made a marble effect in paper clay by adding a bit of ink from the pad and rolling and twisting it before pressing it flat and stamping into it.

 The label holder is a die cut which I embossed with Distress Embossing powder. I can't resist tongue in cheek titles and this is no exception - taken from the proverb "the early bird catches the worm" but so suitable for this fossil bird,one of the earliest examples.

Below is a close up of the stencilling.I'm hooked on using stencils for texture at the moment and the rugged result seemd just right for a craggy fossil piece.


Why not grab a stencil and join in with the challenge here. You could win yourself some fabulous prizes.
I'm looking forward to seeing what you make.