Wednesday 2 June 2010

Just like buses....

Nothing for ages and then three come along at once!

In my DT pack for May there was a length of the most beautiful beaded ribbon in a turquoise and coppery gold colour scheme.

Taking the colours as my starting point I painted some calico with turquoise, copper and yellow/green fabric paints in broad stripes using a lot of water to blend on the fabric - no skill or technique here, just use a flat brush and slap it on. Once dry I over stamped, again with paints, using bubble wrap and a swirly back ground stamp and then sponged through some sequin waste for a bit more pattern. I can do less is more but it doesn't happen often!


I used Simplicity pattern 9949 to cut pieces of my painted fabric to make a small bag. I sewed lengths of the beaded ribbon along each end of the main piece before assembling the bag. The important thing is to make sure the cut ends of the ribbon and the threads holding the beads are secured into the seam so they don't come undone.

Here's a close up of the beading.


I'm seriously thinking I need to get a longer length of ribbon to decorate a pair of flip flops.

7 comments:

  1. Love it, Kate! The layers of paint look really effective. The flip flop idea is inspired and I'm off to buy a cheap pair from the supermarket to steal your idea asap LOL :-) Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks absolutely gorgeous, fantastic work. Yes, I can definitely see flip-flops.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, oh, oh, this is fabulous! Am I on your Christmas list? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh what gorgeous ribbon and I love what you've done with it. The bag colours are wonderful.

    Off to the website now...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!! Flipflops, hair accessories... gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving the laying here, beautiful colours and patterns.

    ReplyDelete