Friday 1 February 2013

Craft Stamper Blog Hop - Looking Back


Welcome to this stop on the Craft Stamper Blog Hop looking back at favourite crafty things of 2012. If you didn't arrive here from Helen Chilton's blog you are missing out on fun and prizes! Pop over to the Craft Stamper Blog to start your journey at the beginning.



I'm Kate and I joined the Craft Stamper Design Team around three years ago after winning Stamper of the Year. For me crafting fun is as much about experimentation and the process of creating as it is about the finished piece. I work in a very organic (and messy) way, usually with the smallest germ of an idea to start with and just see what develops.

I have been making things since I was a child, making clothes and knitting as well as doing papercraft and mixed media experiments and confess to having lots of unfinished projects lurking as I get distracted by a new idea or new must have product.

Looking back at 2012 I wouldn't like to confess to how much new craft stuff I obtained. Suffice to say it significantly outweighed the amount I used! I was lucky enough to get an embellisher machine of which more later (much later as I am still learning to drive it ). But of all the things I got last year the most used and loved, as of now, is my Gelli Arts printing plate.



If you haven't come across these yet take a look at their blog or at the February issue of Craft Stamper for ideas. You can get fantastic results really quickly and easily with a very basic technique or develop ideas and skills further with very artistic results. I find the process of making prints somewhat addictive and made a huge batch of background papers as soon as my new toy arrived last summer.

Here are a few of the first background prints I made...

This is the absolute basic method - if I can do it anyone can. Truly it is simple. You get your Gelli plate out and put it on a smooth (imprtant so you don't give it a permanent pattern from any texture that a craft mat may have) surface. Add some small, and I mean small, blobs of paint. Roll the paint out into a thin layer with a brayer then make patterns with whatever stamps, stencils and other materials you have to hand.Then lay a sheet of paper - or fabric - over the top and burnish gently with your hand and peel back to reveal your print.


 
 
You'll find that bubble wrap crops up in virtually all the prints I have made so far. It is fantastic for making patterns, is soft so it doesn't harm your plate and best of all you don't have to wash it up. I am a very messy worker and find cleaning up a chore. Working with paint does mean a lot of washing up to keep your stamps and stencils in good condition. I am now thinking up ideas to use painty bubble wrap in projects - I have lots and can't bear to send it off to land fill without at least one more use first.
 
The next print is actually three or four prints on top of each other - made each time using the dregs of paint left after an initial print. A convenient way to substantially clean your plate without wasting paint. Whilst I was playing I didn't give any thought to what colours or patterns went on top of each other, it was only afterwards I discovered I rather liked this effect.

 
 
Again this is a basic print - with bubble wrap! This time however there was far too much white in the print so once the paint had dried I spritzed with spray inks and water which fills in the blanks so to speak. This is the reverse side of the print which has a softer watery feel. I think this may become the background to a spring themed project because it reminds me of frog spawn and ponds.
 

 
 
I think now the mornings are a bit lighter I must have spring on the brain because another of my background prints inspired me to make this quick tag. (Now there's another new toy from 2012 that I am more than a little obsessed with, a Sizzix die for cutting tags.) This was just a basic one colour print in orange. Not my favourite I have to say but making prints is a good way to use up those paints that are hanging about - they somehow get a new lease of life used in this way. I added yellow spray ink to fill in the white areas and worked on the front of the print this time. 

 
Bubble wrap again what a surprise! This time though the colours and shapes cried out honey comb so I used gel pens and some foiling to convert the circles into hexagons. Some are then filled with honey - Diamond Glaze actually but they look nice and glossy just the same. The bees are a stamp from the Artistic Stamper Insects and Butterflies plate 1.


These prints will be appearing in virtually every crafty make for some time yet as I think I must have used at least 100 sheets of paper and old book pages whilst playing with paint so please do visit again and see what I've been up to.

Thanks for looking. The letter you need to collect from me is F and the next stop in the hop is to Kim Costello. If you get lost at all simply return to the Craft Stamper blog for a full list of the hop participants.

118 comments:

  1. Gelli plate is on my wish list...... loving the inspiration, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this in the magazine and I'd really like to try it. Thank you for showing us your work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The gelli plate is certainly a fun and addictive tool, I love mine too, Thanks for sharing your makes with it, I have yet to turn my papers into anything else!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want a gelli plate!!! LOL This all looks Fabulous Kate! Thanks for sharing!
    Greetings,Stempelientje

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely creations, I really must try Gelli crafting x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Kate. thank you for sharing your great tutorial and fab creations, Miria from Italy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous designs in lovely colours Kate. The gesso plate certainly gives wonderful effects. Love the tag too. Pat x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful tag! I'm thinking I need a Gelli Plate now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the effects the gello plate gives Kate -and what a gorgeous tag too. Pat x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow this is absolutely gorgeous, so vibrant! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Totally new for me technique- need to give it a try! Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've created some gorgeous effects with it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh, absolutely gorgeous prints from the Gelli plate. Man, I seriously need one. Hah

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have to get a geli plate after seeing this post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think that I NEED a Gelli plate now - oh, yes and lots of bubble wrap too! Love your backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stunning Work my lovely!!!!! I too am a big fan of bubble wrap and am always on the scrounge for different sizes hahaha x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful, I had a gelli plate for Christmas and absolutely love all the backgrounds you can create.
    thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are amazing... I really must get a Gelli Plate.. your results are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this Kate! As you might have seen, your article in CS using the gelli plate inspired me for todays blog hop post! Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fabulous backgrounds and tag! I can't wait to get my Gelli Plate and try all these out :) x

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great excuse to get messy! I love the randomness of the patterns and shapes that can becreated like this - might have to add a Geli Plate to my wish list! Thanks for sharing your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fab! And here I am trying to convince myself I don't need the Gelli plate. My resolve is cracking...;-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you! Friends of mine love the gelli plate but I wasn't sure if I should buy this. These are great examples.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fab backgrounds, loving that tag and the honeycomb effect:)
    Val x

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the Gelli Plate too Kate, & found your article very inspiring! Love your prints & beautiful tag!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wonderful backgrounds! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  27. Some great backgrounds still deciding if I need a gelli plate! trace. X

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wonderful backgrounds Kate...I really need to try some gel printing...looks like a lot of fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am facinated by this Gelli plate, it seems to make fab backgrounds! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  30. The technique looks a lot of fun. Lovely colour combos & dimension.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love how you have created so many different looks! A gelli plate is going to be my next purchase - thanks for the inspiration Kate ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  32. Fabulous prints Kate, I've recently bought a Gelli Plate and am loving it ! Sue C x
    P.S. Bubble wrap appears alot on my prints too !

    ReplyDelete
  33. Fab effects with the bubble wrap etc. Will have to try it!

    Hugs Paula. x

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love to use bubble wrap too. What lovely colorful backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete
  35. so many people are getting great results from their gelli plates, I'm still resisting forking out on one, will I be the last person without one? that won't do!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wonderful prints, learned much, cause I am a new fan of such stamping and printing! thank you for sharing! Your tag is wonderful, lovely colors, all your prints are fabulous. Cheers from Montreal.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Stunning project and such wonderful use of the plates!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wow, never seen a Gelli plate before and I love the result. Thank you for the link as I will pop over to see what they look like.
    Thanks for sharing your awesome creativity with us.
    Hugs, Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  39. These are gorgeous, I think I might be needing a gelli plate lol. Elizabeth x

    ReplyDelete
  40. I have added the Gelli plate to my list of new toys to get hold of. It looks like an addictive way to produce lots of original backgrounds. I love the orange and contrasting blue colour combo of your pretty tag.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Love those prints...it does look fun! Perhaps that plate had to go on my must have list? ;)
    xoxo Sioux

    ReplyDelete
  42. Great backgrounds and the tag is so cheerful reminds me of spring too thanks for sharing

    MaggieH

    ReplyDelete
  43. Your Gelli prints are great, Kate. I must try this,

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  44. I think I just have to invest in a gelli plate!! Gorgeous backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I might have to invest in a Gelli plate, I love the effects you can achieve with it.

    ReplyDelete
  46. great use of the gelli, I am looking forward to having time to play with mine. carol x

    ReplyDelete
  47. Another great technique, those backgrounds look stunning. I love your little tag too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  48. lovely gelli plate to use for backgrounds!

    groetjes coby

    ReplyDelete
  49. I can see I'm going to get drawn into the gelli plate craze!! What amazing prints - I especially love the "leftovers" one - so amazingly shabby chic beautiful!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  50. Who would think bubble wrap could create such fab effects. Amazing projects

    ReplyDelete
  51. Love your papers, I'm also a huge fan of the Gelli Plate so it's always good to see the magic other people come up with. Thanks for sharing, your work is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Thanks for sharing these lovely deets. Gorgeous work. Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  53. Nice use of the gelli plate. Lovely tag

    ReplyDelete
  54. Each of your backgrounds are great! Thanks for sharing!
    Hugs, Cathy-Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  55. I really, really need one of these plates! I love what you have made using the plate - thank you so much for sharing and for the blog hop hugs Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  56. lovely colours, like the honeycomb effects

    ReplyDelete
  57. Really fantastic backgrounds using Gelli plates... never tried yet, but it's tantalizing when I see your results !! I will certainly come back here to see what you will do with your remaining sheets of paper ! :) Thank you for sharing. Coco x

    ReplyDelete
  58. Looks like you had a lot of fun with your Gelli plate! I love the honeycomb one!

    ReplyDelete
  59. Some beautiful work I love the bubble wrap! X

    ReplyDelete
  60. I haven't tried this but it looks great fun thanks for such inspiring ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
  61. Who would have thought that bubble wrap would become a crafter's go to resource! Your tag looks great even if you didn't like the background.

    ReplyDelete
  62. Looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  63. This is fabulous Kate and I loved the Gelli Plate article and have read it twice, just need to get the plate if I can afford it! You didn't tell us about the embellishment machine.

    ReplyDelete
  64. JUst brilliant I really want to get my fingers inky and give this a go. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  65. Hmmmm... that product looks like great fun. Another one for the wish list I think. Thanks so much for sharing.
    Hugs
    Sandra x

    ReplyDelete
  66. I just love this technique - I haven't tried it yet but still love what you have created with it. Thank you so much for sharing your fantastic talent and creativity with us through the articles you do in CS :)
    Lynn x

    ReplyDelete
  67. beautiful prints. I had heard of the Gelli plates but hadn't paid much attention to them. Very nice. I think I need to look into them!

    ReplyDelete
  68. This is an amazing hop! Thank you for sharing these beautiful pages with us!

    ReplyDelete
  69. That's something i wrote on one blog before. The Gelli Plate seems to be the IT - Piece in art for this year.If you love playing with paint, as i do (:o)

    ReplyDelete
  70. Just fabulous, I love all the depth to this xx

    ReplyDelete
  71. This is the 2nd time I'm seeing work with that Gelli Plate thingy, and I really like the effect you get. Gorgeous backgrounds! Hugs Frea

    ReplyDelete
  72. Your backgrounds and tags are very wonderful!! :0) Mo

    ReplyDelete
  73. These do look like fun to play with - thanks for showing all the different effects :)

    ReplyDelete
  74. The gelli plates are an interesting concept - thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  75. A neat idea. I do like it in a small quantity like on your tag.
    KristaInMN at gmail dot com
    www.KristasPaperCafe.com

    ReplyDelete
  76. Oh you guys are really making me need a gelli plate, these are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  77. Oh my word my head is buzzing now... I need to create..lol.Thank you so much for sharing.
    Hugs Kaylou xx

    ReplyDelete
  78. Kate I love my Gelli Plate too, I'm a huge fan of it. I'm generally a big painty fan anyway. and I love seeing what you have done with it. I'll be popping back more often too as I'm your newest follower. Have fun and a great weekend. Michelle x

    ReplyDelete
  79. More Gelli plate gorgeousness! Love your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  80. a Gelli plate is on my wish list as well. Amazing project. Thank you for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  81. Love your articles in Craft Stamper - always very informative. Great backgrounds and I agree with your frogspawny one!!

    ReplyDelete
  82. This is the second one of these techniques I have come across on this hop. Guess I need to get myself a Gelli Plate too! Gorgeous

    Lin xx

    ReplyDelete
  83. I see you have used the Gelli plate too - only just heard about this the other day and it seems to be everywhere! Love the work you produced with it.
    Linbyx

    ReplyDelete
  84. Fantastic projects - I love the idea of the Gelli plate, will have to look out for one at the craft shows.

    Sylvia x

    ReplyDelete
  85. You created lovely items with the gelli plate technique! Never heard of it before I read it in CS mag, but I really "need" one too :-)
    Ellen.

    ReplyDelete
  86. gelli plates love them, but the cleaning up is a bit of a chore, wonder how much my son would want per stencil, is a penny too generous, LOL, love your prints

    ReplyDelete
  87. I have never seen this product before, but its very interesting. I love the possibilities it would give. Love the tag, great shine and textures. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  88. I hadn't heard about those plates but they seem to be a ton of fun. Cute tag and awesome backgrounds:0)

    Hopping along;
    Janette

    ReplyDelete
  89. Looks like a gelli plate is going to be a craft essential. I love all the random patterns that can be created. Thakyou

    ReplyDelete
  90. Plenty of techniques to try. Lovely work. Love helen

    ReplyDelete
  91. I love your gelli plate prints. I have a plate but have not achieved much so far. You have given me the necessary nudge to try again!

    ReplyDelete
  92. More wonderful ideas to use Gelli Plates. I really need to get this product.

    ReplyDelete
  93. Hi Kate.....Love your Gelli plate creations....This is next on my ever growing wish list!!! S x

    ReplyDelete
  94. I think a Gelli-plate is a 'must' for my wish list after seeing what it can achieve. Thank you for sharing this great technique xx

    ReplyDelete
  95. These gelli plates are really popular at the moment but what is so fab about them is that everyone produces totally unique artwork with them.

    ReplyDelete
  96. Wonderful prints, some unusual effects there. Thanks for sharing. Maddy x

    ReplyDelete
  97. I want a Gelli plate!!! You have got some really beautiful prints!

    ReplyDelete
  98. These look fab, love the colours. I am so tempted to get some gelli plates now!

    ReplyDelete
  99. Gorgeous and beautful tag
    Hugs Dianne xx :)

    ReplyDelete
  100. Your prints are fabulous and I adore your tag! A Gelli plate is number one on my wish list at the moment - I neeeeeed one! Well done on winning Stamper of the Year to become a member of the CS team! xx

    ReplyDelete
  101. i love this idea of the gelli plate and the styles you came up with are lovely....thanks for sharing
    Elx

    ReplyDelete

  102. LOVE the printing!!!!... and this is a wonderful blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  103. I love your prints. I've recently bought a gelli plate but only had time for one quick play with it so far.

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  104. Oh dear more temptation from the gelli plate, think I NEED it now. TY kx

    ReplyDelete
  105. Just love the backgrounds you have created especially the 3rd one.

    ReplyDelete
  106. I've never even heard of a gelli plate. WOW! Love what you've done. Will be shopping for one for sure. xxD

    ReplyDelete
  107. More gelli goodness i have GOT TO have one of these gelli plates they look so much fun love your spring colours are fab x

    ReplyDelete
  108. Wow been thinking of buying one but now it's a must lol. :-) Kezzy xx

    ReplyDelete
  109. Lovely technique! I have to check out these Gelli plates!
    DeniseB

    ReplyDelete
  110. thank you for sharing your techniques, it seems like the gelli plate are all the rage now. I will have to save up to get one. xox

    ReplyDelete
  111. Simply fabulous Kate! I've got one of these plates and am ashamed to say it's still in the packet due to lack of time! Really MUST find time to play now!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Fliss x

    ReplyDelete
  112. Love seeing how to use a Gelli Plate - all I have to do now is buy one!

    ReplyDelete