Monday 2 March 2015

More black

I had so much fun making my "new black" swap that whilst I had all the materials out I decorated the cover of a note book that came free from somewhere with a sponsor logo on the front. The book cover was chosen because I have just discovered The Mirror Crack'd blog. The sentiment (keep everything, even broken mirror) made me smile and I was drawn to their "no cards" mixed media challenge.

I think the picture is a bit overexposed and doesn't show the metallic effects to the best advntage so I'd best explain the various products applied.

The first layer is dry embossed mirri card cut into sections. As it turns out I didn't really need the metallic effect on the card because it all got covered up so, lesson learned, use cheaper plain card in future.

All the shapes of cogs, washers and letters are die cut from funky foam. I set eyelets or brads in the centre of all the cogs - any old colour will do so use odds and ends. The final layer of texture is made from snippets of magic mesh and dymo "printed" words.


I then painted the whole cover black to harmonise all the miscellaneous colours and provide some tooth to hold the subsequent media. I then painted layers of Lumiere paint in different shades of blue, green and copper. I highlighted various textural elements with gilding wax and finished with some rusting powder and there might be more than one spritz of mica spray too.

I think I might do more of this yet. I love over the top shine and glitz and gilding.


4 comments:

  1. Oh, yes! The colours, shine and glitz is amazing! Thanks for sharing it with us at The Mirror Crack'd challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kate, loving the metalic effect and yes I can see it. Thanks for joining us at The Mirror Crack'd this month. Happy crafting, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiya Kate,

    Thank you for sharing this beautiful creation, it really has its own unique and awesome style to it.

    It is inspirational and not quite something I have seen before with its steampunk theme and I think the tape really melds in together with the rest of the design and wraps it all up in a nice warming package.

    Very well done and big thanks again for sharing.

    Best regards,
    Jesper K
    DYMOSupport

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your fabulous cover with us.

    Love all your cogs and washers and all the texture in the background is perfect. Love how you used funky foam. I have sheets and sheets of that, need to look it out and cut it up methinks, so thanks for the inspiration.

    Lin
    The Mirror Crack'd

    ReplyDelete